AIDS Education Group for Youth (AEGY) was started in 1993 by a group of young people who came together to share about the myths of HIV/AIDS. The membership increased and they decided to form AEGY in order to respond to the increasing number of people who were being infected by HIV/AIDS and facing the social economic effects. Later in 1997 Action Aid International Uganda provided us with capacity building in project planning and management. They funded training of community volunteers with basic facts about HIV/AIDS and STDs. The training was conducted by ACET-Uganda. Action Aid also trained HIV/AIDS counsellors and trainers.
Our mission is to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS/STDs and the social economic effects to the people of the great Kamuli District.
Our Vision is to see a healthy HIV/AIDS free community in Uganda particularly Kamuli District.
Our core values are life, love, care, and compassion.
AEGY’s activities are;
• HIV/AIDS training including ASRH.
• Supporting 212 OVCs to continue with school.Twelve of these are in technical institutions
• Support 450 PLWAs with IGAs and food security activities
• Developing referral linkages to HIV/AIDS services
• Mobilising communities for HCT
• Conducting video shows for prevention of HIV/AIDS
• Behavioural Change Communication in the Kamuli District serving mostly rural populations
• Conducting a weekly radio Program on the local Radio KBS
• Conducting HIV awareness and sensitization in schools
• Promoting proper condom use
• Supporting 480 people living with HIV/AIDS
• Providing supplementary treatment to PLWAs
• Have trained and supported 900 peer educators in secondary schools and also sensitized in primary schools.
• Supporting 100 orphans in Kamuli with scholastic materials, uniform and other basic needs.