Action on Disability& Development (ADD) International
Joseph Walugembe ( Programme Director)
P.O.Box 340, Kampala. Plot 81, Bukoto Street, Kamwokya., Kampala
Quality Assurance Mechanism
Regional Area of Work
Districts of Active Projects
Moyo, Masindi, Kabale, Pallisa, Busia, Mubende, Soroti, Kotido, Kumi, Wakiso, Masaka, Jinja, Kamuli
Major Sectors of Work
- Agriculture / Rural Livehoods
- Gender / Women in Development
- Human Rights and Governance
- Social Research / Policy Advocacy
- Vocational Training
Number of Paid Staff
10-20 paid staff
Approximate Yearly Turnover
Between Ush 200 million and Ush 1 billion
Main source of income
ADD is a rights-based international development agency. It was started in the UK in 1985 to support people with disabilities in their effort for equalization of opportunities.
The ADD programme has grown in size and scope. ADD aims to maintain low administrative overheads yet deliver quality services to Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Currently ADD works with 12 national DPOs and 21 district-level DPOs in places such as Busia, Katakwi, Moyo, Masindi, Kabale, Wakiso, Mpigi, Kamwenge, Kamuli and Kumi .
ADD Uganda has two broad aims:
• To cultivate the capacity of DPOs to be strong, effective and articulate in mainstreaming disability issues at national level.
• To assist DPOs to advocate affectively at national, district and lower levels for the implementation of policies and laws which guarantee disabled people’s rights and that comply with international human rights instruments and the constitution of Uganda.
ADD’s core values:
• Disabled people are the best advocates of their own cause
• Empowerment, not charity
• All people have the same fundamental rights to determine their own future and decision that affect their lives
• Equal opportunity for all
• Respect for human dignity
• A unified voice for person with disabilities
• Disability is a social development and human rights issue, not a medical care issue
Sources of funds:
• UK Department for International Development;
• UK Comic Relief; Bread for the world;
• European Union
Copyright © 2013 NGO Directory Uganda. All Rights Reserved.